Search our Site

The Boys Junior Foursomes format is two foursome matches, one played at home and one played away. Matches to be played over 18 holes with aggregate score determining the winner.

A lovely sunny day greeted the teams for this semi-final encounter with a place in the coveted Leinster Central final at stake.

Our home pairing were Cal Duggan and Jake Quinn and away were Conor Brown and Eoghan Light. Preparations had gone well and the lads were ready for the battle ahead.

Home Match:

Athy were eager from the start to push home their lower handicap advantage and opted to play the power game so much so that they lost their ball on the 1 st hole and Castlewarden went 1 up. A great up and down from the bunker on 3 saw us establish a 2 hole lead in the match. Athy quickly responded following an errant tee shot on 4 by the home team and we went to the 5 th 1 up.

A great up and down on 6 saw us establish a 2 hole lead again. Athy put a ball out of bounds with their third shot on 8 and an errant tee shot by them on the ninth saw us establish a 4 hole lead at the turn.

Hole 10 … Buggygate: Jake Quinn’s tee shot struck the roof of our manager’s buggy and ended up in the wild flower area behind the green. Unfortunately we failed to get up and down following a penalty drop and we went to the 11 th 3 up. A cracking birdie on the 11 th got us back to 4 up and the push for home began.

Athy would win hole 12, 13 was halved and we regained our 4 up lead going to 15. A great shot from the fairway bunker to the green on 15 set up a win for Athy on that hole. With the match on the line the Athy 3 handicapper tried to cut off the corner on 16 but only succeeded in going out of bounds. Our lads got to the 16 th green safely in 2 and after Cal left the approach shot dead Athy conceded the match as the away match had gone in our favour.

Away Match:

After a slow start, losing the 1 st hole, Conor and Eoghan bounced back straight away winning the 3 rd , 4 th , 5 th and 6 th holes to grab a commanding 3 up lead through 6 holes. The lads struggled around the turn and were 1 up after 9. Some great course management by our lads saw us win the 10 th and put us back to 2 up. However a par on 11 and a birdie on 12 was enough for Athy to level the match. A great up and down from the bunker on the par 3 14 th got the lads back to 1 up and they never looked back winning 16 and 17 to finish the match on the 17 th .

A brilliant team effort by our lads on the day, with the official winning score of 7 up, has seen us reach our first Leinster Central final where we will meet Esker Hills. Match to be played by July 30 th at a neutral venue to be announced.

Our lads deserve as much support as possible as they seek to become champions. Stay tuned for details of the final venue and date.

Des O’Neill (Captain)